Thursday, November 3, 2011
The oldest resident hall on any Ohio campus, Elliott Hall (named for Miami professor of Greek, Charles Elliott) was built in 1825 and for 113 years was known simply as North Dorm. In the early years, room rent was $5 a term and a student provided his own furniture. At first rooms were lit by candles and heated from fireplaces, later by iron stoves. Each room had a woodbin, a supply of cornmeal and potatoes under the bed and an apple box in the corner. In these spartan quarters, students studied Latin, Greek, algebra, modern geography, and Roman history. They would leave Miami to become statesmen, industrialists, diplomats, jurists, eminent churchmen, journalists, and educators. Among them, was Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the United States.
By steps and stages, the old hall was modernized though unchanged in structure until 1936. Under a matching grant from the Public Works Administration, Elliott and its twin structure Stoddard Hall (1835) were rebuilt into modern residence facilities within the weathered walls.
Today, Elliott and Stoddard are scholarship residences for student scholar-leaders. Rooms in the historic halls are endowed through the philanthropy of Miami alumni and friends, ensuring their continued maintenance and furnishing. The endowment also provides housing scholarships for students who live there.
Beta Theta Pi Campanile
Standing north of Elliott Hall is the campus landmark, “Beta Bells”. The campanile is a gift of the fraternity in 1939 to celebrate the centenary of its founding. The Beta Bells ring the quarter hour from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. The bell tower’s unadorned clean lines reflect the Georgian architectural style of the campus and the simplicity of Elliott Hall.
*Historical information from The Miami Years by Walter Havinghurst. Photo obtained from Miami University Archives in Withrow court
Posted by Wilks Leadership Institute at 1:03 PM